Numerous mining engineering job possibilities have a requirement for candidates to have a Government Certificate of Competency (GCC) – Mines and Operates, more than and above their academic qualifications and operating expertise. This certificate, also referred to as a “Government Ticket”, is issued to a prosperous candidate by the Division of Minerals and Power in South Africa. The qualification is broadly made use of as a recommendation for positions in mining roles in Africa, not only inside South Africa’s borders.

The guidelines and syllabi governing this qualification are regulated in terms of the Mine Well being and Security Act (1996). A certificate is issued to prosperous candidates in a single of two types:

Certificate of Competency as Mechanical Engineer for Mines and Operates or

Certificate of Competency as Electrical Engineer for Mines and Operates.

There are several measures to be completed prior to registering for the Qualifying Examinations which are held twice yearly. The Institution of Certificated Mechanical and Electrical Engineers, South Africa (ICMEESA) offers clear guidance on this and has published a chart displaying the various routes to GCC.

1. Qualifications necessary

Academic Route

A B.Sc. degree in mechanical or electrical engineering recognized by the Commission of Examiners at least two years post graduate proper sensible expertise in the upkeep and operations of mechanical and electrical machinery, satisfactory to the Commission of Examiners and of which at least a single year has been at a mine in the RSA or

Technikon Route

Person Technikons could structure a curriculum to cover the electrical and mechanical courses according to the needs of the Plant Engineering syllabus. On the other hand, these are topic to a clear set of pre-requisites for formal studying and length of expertise comparable to the academic route.

The qualifications and experiential studying major up to acceptance for the qualifying examinations ought to, theoretically prepare the student to create the exams. In practice, it usually occurs that further tuition is necessary to prepare for the exams, especially in the mathematical calculations. External service providers run refresher courses to prepare candidates specially these with demanding day jobs and these who graduated numerous years earlier.

two. Qualifying Examinations

To qualify for a Certificate of Competency as Mechanical or Electrical Engineer for Mines and Operates, the following subjects need to be passed by persons accepted as candidates:

(a) Plant Engineering and

(b) Legal Know-how (Well being and Security Act and Regulations).

To qualify for a Certificate of Competency, candidates need to get at least 50% in each and every topic stipulated above. Candidates need to have not pass each subjects at the exact same examination sitting, but the second topic need to be passed inside 3 years or six consecutive examination sittings right after passing the initially, otherwise each subjects need to be re-written. An proper Certificate of Competency will be forwarded to candidates who have passed the subjects necessary to qualify for such a certificate.

There are further needs and regulations readily available to potential candidates who are advised to refer to